Saturday, June 23, 2012

Addiction

Yesterday, one of the girls I work with was discussing diabetes with me, and she made the comment that food addictions are real and can be just as bad as drug addictions.

Addiction-the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.


One of the things that G and I discussed at length when we first met was my food addiction. I am not in denial. I know I have one. Thankfully, I've never gotten up to 600 pounds, but the addiction is there all the same. I eat when I am bored, when I am sad, when I am happy, and when I am stressed. I suppose part of it could be blamed on culture with the way we eat at every occasion and commericals are constantly being shoved at us to eat more. Have you had your fourth meal lately?
 
It's one of the things that we've been working on. Last week was the first time that I've been in trouble for stress eating in a while. Trust me, it didn't go over well.
 
One of G's few rules is no emotional eating, especially not stress eating. Until we started the whole house buying process, I was doing really good with losing weight and making good food choices. With the one exception, I haven't been stress eating. I sit at my desk and go through the whole am I hungry or am I bored or stressed thought process.
 
Normally, if  it was hungry, I would rationalize that I'll be having dinner in a few hours when I get home. This week it has been more of I am hungry I am just going to have one pack of cookies.
 
They are starting a biggest loser challenge at my work. I am not participating in it because I have no competitive spirit. Trust me, if I was on the  tv show, I'd be eating whatever I could find at the end of the day just to deal with the stress of people yelling at me. I've only ever seen the commericals so I all I know about the show is people yell at overweight people who they are making exercise.
 
So Thursday I  come up with the detailed list of goals that I am going to try to accomplish before Jan 5th on weight loss. In case, I didn't mention it earlier, G and I made a deal that if I could lose 4 pounds in the month of June that I could have a free eating weekend with no consequences as long as I didn't gain more than 1/2 a pound.
 
This morning's weigh in proved that I am nowhere near where I need to be in order to meet the deal or the list of goals. I gained nearly a pound from last week, which puts me at needing to lose 3 pounds for next week in order to meet the deal. If I really work at it, I could pull off 2. I can't pull off 3. Needless to say, G was more than thrilled with the news of the gain, and I am sitting on a sore bottom.
 
So while I am going through this week of telling the cookies I don't need them, please feel free to say lots of prayers and have some milk and cookies for me.

No comments: